I recently asked my friend Jim Self at Mastering Alchemy about the concept of Love. (Again, I use "friend" in the cyber-sense. Jim is a real live Master Teacher, and not one to mess with. He can see you remotely, and he knows what he Knows. I am not kidding about this.)
Anyway, I asked him about Love because I do not fully comprehend what kind of Love we are speaking of when we open our lives to a multidimensional perspective. I love my husband and children, and I love my personal angels and Guides. But it is not the same thing as the unconditional Love that the Universe requires of us as we ascend.
Some would say, for example, that traditional concepts of Love do not apply to our relationships with non-biological things, non-human entities, and alien beings.
Come on people. All of these exist. Computers are non-biological forms, and we relate to them, and angels are entities that are not human. (They must be real, 'cause they are in the bible.)
But can we love them, and can they love us? (And don't get me started on "aliens." At this point, the word can refer to members of my husband's extended family in Texas or to any non-indigenous beings, planetary or otherwise.)
We are raised to believe in the power and positive force of Love, even through we don't always understand what it is really about. The Greeks, of course, introduced several distinct concepts of Love: the love between parents and their children, the affectionate love between brethren and friends, love of humanity and the Creator, and the love that springs forth from passion, eros.
Anyway, Jim Self explained that Love as it is experienced and understood in the upper dimensions is beyond anything that we can understand from our third-dimensional perspective. That Love, he said, was "not definable." He likened Love to an elemental force, one that pushes the waves and moves the wind. He described this as if he had some personal knowledge, which is kind of cool. He also said that one accesses this love through Creation when we enter the field of awareness and knowing that exists when we become Creators. In this I think that he is saying that this kind of Love is yet a possibility - not entirely available to us in the third dimensional experience.
I still don't fully understand!
But I think it is kind of important for me to know.
Interesting question, about loving non-human beings. A few thoughts:
ReplyDeleteFirst, I think the proper categories are sentient and non-sentient. When we talk about loving a car, it's just a way of saying "really really like." But I think that's a red herring to the really interesting question of loving a sentient non-human, like a spirit or alien.
Second, some amount of what we consider love is a set of fairly simple reactions within the brain. We are wired to respond to human features, facial expressions, etc. And we release a bunch of chemicals associated with sex, both the seeking and the having of it. I don't know what love would look like without the human-specific side of things. But possible? I'd certainly consider it.
Third, other minds can be vastly different than ours. I read LessWrong, which started with an AI researcher. One of the things he talks about is how different other types of minds can be. That we normally imagine other minds as humans, because we evolved around other human minds, but the total space of minds is much larger. To get an idea, imagine a mind that believes that, if something was never true in the past, then it's more likely to be true in the future. You would want to convince it that it was just being silly, but if you point out that this logic has never worked in the past, it would say "Exactly!" Everything that we are used to in minds, including emotions like love and the view that morals should be universal, is particular to human minds, and human-like minds. So, when we talk about loving a non-human, remember there's a huge difference between loving an essentially-human mind in a non-human body vs loving something genuinely non-human.
Like I said, just some random thoughts. Interested to see where you go with this.