Friday, May 18, 2012

Some Notes on Mastery

I have been working closely of late with one of the Ascended Masters. I have actually been working with them since I started MAP some time ago; nevertheless, the practice I am engaged with right now is actually taught by one of them, Master Kuthumi.

As a religion scholar I am well aware of the history of the White Brotherhood, mainly through the work of its most famous theosophists from the nineteenth century, Helena Petrovna Blavastky, Annie Besant, and Henry Steele Olcott, the first so-called "white Buddhist" in the West.

The third-dimensional work of this fascinating team of souls is significant in itself for what they achieved in their time. For the most part people don't know much about them or the system that is called Theosophy, save that it introduced us to some alternative metaphysical understandings and occult ideas that really took off in the twentieth century.

What remains with me, however, is the idea of "Mastery."

I have always been both intrigued and repulsed by the Master-Slave paradigm; it is what disturbs me most about the Christian narrative (humans as God's slaves), and fascinated me about the Hebrew narrative (slaves as God's chosen). Of course, I went to graduate school in order to study how American slaves saw the world through their religious and magickal practices. I am initiated into Haitian Vodou, a spiritual system that effectively sacralizes the status of the African slave.

But only recently I have begun to think about Mastery as a work of the Self of the third and fourth dimension: that we are to become Masters in the realm in which we are conscious, and then, ascension is possible.

I have suggested before that being a Creator, or magician, means recognizing the level of mastery that the Self has acquired in any dimension of consciousness: in the third dimension, for example, one masters Love through creation, in the fourth, one masters Power through creation, and in the fifth dimension, one masters Wisdom.*

It is my brightest realization then that most of the fifth dimension beings - including my Higher Self, the ascended masters, even other celestial beings and aliens, like Ra or the Hathors - they exist to teach, so as to acquire Wisdom, and then, ascension.

We are the ones who also benefit, as the willing, grateful, loving students.


But if we become Masters, who or what is the Slave?


*Edit: my Teacher has a correction, and this makes much more sense:


I have suggested before that being a Creator, or magician, means recognizing the level of mastery that the Self has acquired in any dimension of consciousness: in the third dimension, for example, one masters creation through Love, in the fourth, one masters creation through Power, and in the fifth dimension, one masters creation through Wisdom.*


Much better.

2 comments:

  1. "But only recently I have begun to think about Mastery as a work of the Self" GRIN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I checked your comment Robert my Self gave me a huge correction to this text; I am adding it below.

      Unbelievable!

      Delete