Sunday, May 27, 2012

Convergence of the Disciplines

Short post today. That is because Swarthmore College has its commencement this morning and I have to go. It felt good that one year when I was walking up the road in my big black puffy faculty robe and doctoral hood and someone yelled, "Congratulations, graduate!" out the car window. I don't know exactly why that made me smile. But I can recall my own college graduation more than thirty years ago like it was last week.

Today I am being shown that there is a lot of convergence between what we might ordinarily understand as magick and religion and science. This occurs mainly at the front end: magicians are utilizing religion, religionists are calling upon elements and natural forces, and the labels New Age, Vodou, Christian, Magick, Theosophy, spirituality, healing, become pretty much irrelevant, blurred, the boundaries between them effaced as we all try to do what we do. I myself am generally pretty multi-cultural and speak several of these languages already. So I can see that there are many many interfaces between these ideas. We are only talking about different ways of creating and manifesting and seeing the world. Naturally, the glue that holds it all together is Love. The only thing that I can see that would cause friction with respect to these differences is Fear.

And everyone knows how I feel about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment