Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Come to Jesus
I note today that the vast wastelands of academia are littered with the souls of disappointed and disaffected former Christians, battered, bruised, shell-shocked and weary. Indeed, we comprise an army. I see this especially often among scholars of Religion, many of whom having come into the academic world with full and tender hearts, empowered by intellect but drawn by their love for Jesus and the historical traditions of Christianity, only to gradually, inevitably, leave these roots behind for better, higher things.

Some of us look back with anger and pain, feeling that we were deceived; at best we were mislead by ignorant and insincere teachers, and at worst, preyed upon and abused by those who took power over us, suffering what can described as a kind of spiritual rape.

I have heard versions of this story many many times. Again, it seems to be especially salient among academics and intellectuals who work in Religious Studies.

However, it has been brought to my attention that this kind of story, and its outcome, is also shared by some in the alternative spiritual community as well - the pagans, the magicians, the New Agers, the practitioners of traditional African religions and so forth.

This makes me think about a lot of things.

About first love, about faith, about betrayal. About how so many of us, even after the hurt, still believe in something sweeter and greater than we ever could imagine. About how even though innocence was lost - in sometimes brutal and horrible ways, here we stand, arms outstretched with gratitude and appreciation to the Highest Part of ourselves, the Infinite Soul, to each other, to the Universe.

We still believe in Love!

Someone very wise suggested that I return to that place where I first encountered the Lord Jesus, and God Almighty, the holy church, the ideals of good religion.

I'm gonna think about this.

I think I just might return, full of compassion for myself, and with wisdom, and power, to pick through the rubble of those days and experiences, to see if I can find some precious gems.

No comments:

Post a Comment