Saturday, December 1, 2012

Another Initiation

The initiation process is a well-worn archetype that describes humans transitioning into new states of being. Any anthropologist can tell you that. Magical initiations are special and powerful, but there is nothing like initiation into an African or an African-based system. I experienced an initiation like that into the religion of Vodou for six days and nights, albeit at the lowest level of service that one can offer to the Vodou spirits, as a worker, a hunsi. But there is something new coming.

The foundational story in the initiation is that of the slave who is taken away from everything that he knows. In the closed, cramped, initiation space with the other slaves, you experience fear. Hunger. Hopelessness. Boredom. Anxiety. Hope. As the slave ship careens and rocks on the etheric waves, taking you farther and farther away from those you love, you weep. You vomit, literally seasick. Then you die, and at the point of no return you meet the Guardian spirits. And that is all that I can write about. 

Except that coming out of the other side is as exhilarating as a new birth.

I was told today that 12/12/12 to 12/21/12 would be another initiation for me. I am certain that it will not be as challenging as the other initiation, but I expect it to be as fully transformative. Difference is that I am alone in the third dimension, and the caregivers, those that will midwife the new creation, are invisible to me. 

I can hear them pretty well, however.

No comments:

Post a Comment